Avoiding Body Shop and Towing Scams in Charlotte
Being involved in a car accident can be a hectic and confusing experience. Even if you are uninjured, but your car sustains damage, you’re probably being asked a lot of questions and dealing with a lot of paperwork. Take a deep breath and ensure you make the right decisions.
Unfortunately, many unscrupulous tow truck companies and body shops are just waiting for you to have an accident. Once you become embroiled in one of their fraudulent schemes, you may need the help of a Charlotte car accident attorney to help you out. These scams work something like this: Body shops or tow trucks monitor police scanners or roam the highways looking for a car accident. Once they locate one, they approach the driver of the vehicle and say that the driver’s insurance company contacted them.
If you give the truck driver permission to tow your car, he or she then takes the automobile to a partnered body shop, which may overcharge, perform shoddy repairs and keep your vehicle for overly long periods, forcing you to pay for one of their rental cars. Both you and your insurance company pay costly fees for sub-par or non-existent work.
A Charlotte car accident lawyer from the Law Offices of Brian deBrun, PLLC can assist you if you fall victim to one of these bogus schemes. However, the best way to avoid being a victim is to stay alert for questionable behavior. Following are a few ways to avoid body shop and towing scams:
- Call your auto insurer before allowing your car to be taken anywhere.
- Do not give permission to any tow truck driver who arrives on the scene, or contacts you at home or work, unsolicited.
- Understand your insurance policy’s towing coverage and what it does and does not cover.
- Do not give your insurance policy information to a tow truck driver.
- Ask the tow truck driver about storage rates. Some daily rates can be exorbitant.
- If the tow truck driver is offering unsolicited recommendations on body shops, there is a chance he or she is being paid for referrals. Ask your insurer who they recommend instead.
The Law Offices of Brian deBrun, PLLC works effectively and tirelessly to get you the compensation you deserve for your auto accident or injury. Call us at 704-412-4258 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.