Choosing the Right Auto Insurance in Charlotte, NC
Knowledgeable auto accident lawyer helps you understand liability insurance options in North Carolina
Figuring out the right auto insurance policy to choose can be very confusing. There are so many coverage options — some required by law and some optional — that the task of choosing the best options for you and your family can be overwhelming. At the Law Offices of Brian deBrun PLLC, we are dedicated to helping you understand your rights regarding car accidents and insurance coverage. Knowing your coverage options helps ensure that you and your family are protected after an accident.
Types of auto insurance coverage required in North Carolina
Under North Carolina law, you must carry certain basic types of auto insurance coverage:
- Liability insurance covers bodily injury and property damage for you, your family and other drivers of your vehicle if you cause an accident.
- Uninsured motorist (UM) insurance covers bodily injury and property damage suffered by you, your family or your passengers if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver.
- Underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage is required along with UM coverage for drivers with policy limits greater than the minimum. It covers bodily injury if you are in an accident caused by a driver with insufficient insurance.
Minimum coverage requirements
Under North Carolina law, a vehicle owner is required to have liability insurance and uninsured motorist coverage, each with minimum coverage amounts:
- $30,000 bodily injury per person
- $60,000 bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 property damage
Although you are only required to carry the minimum insurance, accidents frequently result in injuries and damages including medical costs such as emergency care, treatment and rehabilitation that exceed these policy limits. The more coverage you have, the better the protection for you and your family.
Optional insurance coverage in North Carolina
In addition to the state-required coverage, your insurance company may require you to buy the following types of insurance or you may choose to add this optional coverage to your policy:
- Collision covers damages to any automobile you drive.
- Comprehensive covers damages to your car caused by missiles or falling objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water or flood, malicious mischief or civil commotion, or contact with a bird or other animal or broken glass.
- Medical payment covers all necessary and reasonable medical and funeral services for you, your family or your passengers.
You may also consider adding automobile death indemnity, specific disability and total disability benefits coverage for death, dismemberment or disability.
Contact a knowledgeable Charlotte accident attorney for help with your insurance benefits
Regardless of what type of insurance coverage you choose, our car accident lawyer in Charlotte at the Law Offices of Brian deBrun PLLC can help you obtain the maximum benefits from your policy if you or your family members are injured in an accident. To learn more about our services, contact us online or call us at 704-412-4258 today for a free initial consultation.